How to apply?
Become certified in three steps
1. Fill-in application form and submit
- Find your product group to see the criteria and download application form and relevant documents. Fill in the entire form and the associated declarations (if required). This helps to ensure that your application is complete and can be processed quickly. The application form should be sent to the application email-address of your national ecolabelling organisation.
- You can apply for several products at the same time. If the products are being produced in different places, however, they will usually require individual certifications. In such cases, you therefore also need to complete several application forms.
2. Application review
- The national ecolabelling organisation makes every effort to provide you with a status of your application no later than three weeks after receipt and let you know if they need more documentation or if there is a need to change something related to the product in order to meet the requirements of the Nordic Swan Ecolabel. All applications are treated confidentially.
- When all the documentation is in order, the national ecolabelling organisation will contact you to make an appointment for an inspection visit to ensure that, the production in reality is in line with what is described in the documentation.
- If things appear to be in order, a technical review of your application will be initiated.
- When your application has passed the technical review and the last administrative details have been handled, you will be granted your certification.
- Having obtained the certification means that you can start using the Nordic Swan Ecolabel on your product or in relation to your service in accordance with the rules and regulations for the Nordic Swan Ecolabelling of goods and services.
- Typically, the national ecolabelling organisation will spend 2 to 6 months to process your application. If the processing time takes longer, this is normally because documentation is lacking for one or more important points. Your application is valid for one year, and after this, it will be cancelled if all relevant documentation is not received. You are always welcome to submit a new application.
How to register in several countries
You must inform your national ecolabelling organisation if you wish to sell your product or service in countries that you have not registered sales to when you made the application.
If your product belongs to a product group that is covered by the Nordic fee system, your Nordic Swan Ecolabel certification will be valid in all countries. You must, however, always report which countries you are selling to and the estimated annual revenue per country in the Nordic region – as well as the total estimated revenue from countries outside the Nordic region. You can do this by sending a mail with information about new markets and estimated revenue to your national ecolabelling organisation.
If you have a certfication for a service, the certification normally only applies in the country where you have applied for the Nordic Swan Ecolabel. In cases where it is possible to supply the service across borders - for example, textile services, cleaning of textiles, printing and photo services - you do have the option to register sales in several countries.
You must apply for the registration of sales of services in other countries by sending an application to national ecolabelling organisation where you have the certification. You must fill out the entire application form and tick the box in the field Extension of licence and provide your licence number. At the same time, you must state which countries you would like to offer your service in and how much you expect to sell during a calendar year.
Do you have questions?
Get in touch with your national ecolabelling organisation for a non-binding discussion about the requirements for your product, fees and the application process. That usually ends up saving all of us some time in end. You can find the contact information here.