Consultation concerning proposed criteria for Outdoor furniture, playground and park equipment
Nordic Ecolabelling gives you the opportunity to comment on the proposal for criteria for Nordic Swan Ecolabelling for outdoor furniture, playground and park equipment. The ecolabelling is assessed based on a life cycle perspective and fulfil high environmental and health requirements. Your comments are important and will be considered by the national Ecolabelling boards and the Nordic Ecolabelling Board.
We look forward to your comments, which should be sent to the Nordic Ecolabelling no later than April 29, 2020 to be taken into consideration.
What has been changed?
- The criteria are written focusing on products standing permanently outdoors in public environment.
- Requirements for types of wood that must not be used and wood from certified forestry have been updated based on the Swan's new forest requirements. The Swan's forest requirements are also under review.
- Durability of solid wood has been updated and clarified in text.
- For high-pressure laminate sheets, HPL, energy requirements for its paper and pulp production have been introduced with a new calculation formula and new score limits for paper and pulp.
- PAH content in plastic, rubber and silicone is a new requirement of this generation, applies only to playgrounds.
- New material, wood plastic composite (WPC), is introduced and thus new requirements.
- For metal, requirements for the proportion of recycled metal have been tightened.
- The chemical requirements have been updated, clarified and sharpened in several respects. For surface treatment of metal, bans on cadmium, lead, chromium and nickel and their compounds have been introduced.
- In order to support a circular economy, new requirements that include warranty, separability, repairability and spare parts, and maintenance have been introduced.
We are particularly interested in getting comments on the following points:
- Durability of wood and WPC, Chapter 6, requirement O6.
- High pressure laminate panels, HPL, Chapter 7, requirements O9 and O11
- Metal, Chapter 10, requirement O22.
- Free formaldehyde in chemical products, Chapter 11, requirement O27.
- Other prohibited substances in chemical products, Chapter 11, requirement O25.
- Surface treatment of wood and wood-based boards, Chapter 11, requirements O31 and O33.
- Lifespan / use phase, chapter 12, requirements O36–O40.
- Wood plastic composite material (WPC, Wood Plastic Composite), Chapter 9, requirements O18–O21.
New material and new requirements in this generation. Nordic Ecolabelling has chosen to include WPC in the referral proposal, but at the same time it has not been an easy process. There are different views as to whether WPC has a place in the circular economy or whether it is a dead end because plastics and wood are mixed and cannot be separated at the waste stage. The issue is very important for Nordic Ecolabelling and we therefore present both arguments for and against the fact that Nordic Swan Ecolabelled outdoor furniture, playground and park equipment should be able to consist of WPC. In order to make a final decision on whether WPC will take a place as a material in this product group, your referral responses are important.
Who can provide input?
All people, companies and institutions who are interested in taking part in the development work of Nordic Ecolabelling criteria for outdoor furniture, playground and park equipment can provide us with their opinions and comments. We would appreciate if you kindly distribute information about this review to whom it may concern.
How can comments be sent in?
Your input is most valuable to our criteria development. We prefer to receive your answers via mail for each contry.
For further questions, please contact our Product Specialist for Sweden:
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
For further questions, please contact our Product Specialist for Norway:
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
For further questions, please contact our Senior Consultant for Denmark:
Jakob Wegener Waidtløw
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
For further questions, please contact our Product Specialist for Finland:
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
What happens next?
When the consultation period is complete, the answers will be compiled and evaluated. For this reason, a new revised proposal for criteria will be submitted to the national committees. On this basis, the Nordic Ecolabelling Board will then decide on new criteria.
Part of the decision document is the summary of all consultation responses together with answers from Nordic Ecolabelling. The summary will be public and available on each country web page in connection with the publication of the new criteria.
We look forward to receiving your comments no later than April 29, 2020.