Force majeure indoor paints and varnishes
There has been a very serious accident in the Chinese factory that produces up to 70 percent of the basic component of the preservative BIT. The accident required many lives and caused major material and environmental damage. Today, no other manufacturer is ready to take over as the world's primary BIT supplier. It will therefore take time before the access on BIT is back to normal. As of today, it seems that this situation can last until the beginning of 2020.
This has triggered a force majeure situation for the Nordic Swan Ecolabel. It is important to ensure continued access to ecolabelled paint and building products with high quality and low risk of mold or other micro-organisms. Therefore, we must provide temporary access to the use of alternative preservatives in paint products and other chemical building products until there is sufficient access to BIT in the market.
Temporary solution with exception
- In the light of the force majeure situation, we give the opportunity to apply for a temporary exemption to use alternative conservation methods until BIT is again available on the market (expected in early 2020), provided the finished products do not get other (according to the criteria) different classifications than:
- H317 May cause an allergic skin reaction
- The license holders who need to apply for exemptions must submit the documents for the preservatives that the applicant wishes to use instead, and what / which deviating classifications the finished products will have.
- Documentation for each preservative according to the criteria.
- Compilation of deviating classifications for products / product series.
- Mockups on new labels if they need to be changed.
- How long you think you need a temporary exception.
- For the products that we temporarily accept the use of an alternative preservation, we need to get recipes for archiving.
- When BIT is again available on the market and / or you change to a new type of preservation that does not need the exception, you are welcome to apply for a change and we will handle and control the recipes as usual.