Consultation concerning proposed criteria for New buildings
Nordic Ecolabelling gives you the opportunity to comment on the proposal for criteria for Nordic Swan Ecolabelling for New buildings – Residential, educational and office buildings. Your comments are important and will be considered by the national Ecolabelling boards and the Nordic Ecolabelling Board.
We look forward to your comments, which should be sent to the Nordic Ecolabelling no later than March 15, 2022 to be taken into consideration.
Please find the proposed criteria for download further down on this page.
What has been changed?
- The criteria now include office buildings, in addition to the building types included in the current criteria (generation 3): small houses, apartment buildings and buildings for schools and preschools.
- The section on circular economy has both revised and completely new requirements aimed at waste prevention, use of renewable materials, a mandatory requirement on reuse of construction products, reuse and recycling of construction materials and construction products. The building must be constructed according to design for disassembly and adaptability principles.
- In the section of climate, nationally adapted climate declarations are proposed in a mandatory requirement. National limit values will later be validated and entered the criteria, following a mini consultation. Strict requirements for materials with a high climate impact such as concrete, steel and aluminum have been introduced. A mandatory requirement for fossil-free construction sites and a point requirement for fossil-free construction machinery are introduced.
- In the section of energy, new limit values have been set for the building's energy use. The requirement scope now includes Iceland. Water-saving sanitary tapware will be a mandatory requirement.
- All requirements on indoor environment have been updated. Requirements have been clarified, tightened and some new requirements have been introduced. Daylight requirements have been revised in accordance with the new European standard EN17037. Thermal climate has become a mandatory requirement. Mandatory requirements for indoor acoustics have also been introduced for residential buildings. All buildings should always be constructed radon-proof and a new mandatory requirement for indoor air quality based on the content of carbon dioxide in indoor air is proposed.
- Requirements for chemical products and ingoing substances in construction materials and construction products have mainly been revised regarding changes in the chemical’s legislation. In addition, exceptions have been reviewed and a new definition of potential endocrine disruptors has been introduced. The requirement for nanomaterials in construction products has been removed but is partly handled by a requirement for antimicrobial additives. Additives in concrete are no longer covered by the chemical requirements. A mandatory requirement for halogen-free cables is proposed.
- A mandatory requirement is introduced for ecolabelled products to be used in the Nordic Swan Ecolabel building.
- Biodiversity has been given a more prominent role. The requirement for prohibited tree species has been modernised, and additional construction elements and materials are covered by the requirement for certified and traceable wood raw material. A mandatory requirement for ecological mapping and point requirements for the implementation of measures to preserve biodiversity has been introduced.
- The criteria have been adapted so that a Nordic Ecolabel building according to generation 4 can be built in accordance with the first delegated act of the EU taxonomy for green investments, environmental goals "Limiting climate change", both in terms of the technical review criteria and the criteria for do not do significant damage (DNSH). The parts of the taxonomy that have not yet been published are handled in parallel with the consultation, and in subsequent version updates of the criteria.
In addition to the above mentioned we would like your comments on the following matters
- Implementation of the criteria for office buildings.
- Requirement O2 Points achieved – Is it possible for all building types to reach the minimum required points?
- Requirement O8 Cement and concrete – Will compliance be possible in all Nordic countries?
- Requirement O9 Steel – The required percentage of recycled material.
- Requirement O13 Construction waste management – The required percentage of materials sorted for reuse/recycling.
- Requirement O16 Reused construction products and materials – New requirement.
- Requirement O30 Infill of granules on playgrounds and outdoor areas – Rubber and plastic may not be part of the infill material.
- Requirement O35 Wood and bamboo: traceability and certification – Additional construction elements and products are included.
- Requirement O36 Ecology report and O37 Measures for biodiversity – New requirements.
- Requirement O39 Daylight provision – New simulation methods and requirement levels.
- Requirement O40 Thermal comfort – New requirement.
- Requirement O41 Radon - All buildings should always be constructed radon-proof.
Documents for download
Who can provide input?
All people, companies and institutions who are interested in taking part in the development work of Nordic Ecolabelling criteria for New buildings can provide us with their opinions and comments. We would appreciate if you kindly distribute information about this review to whom it may concern.
How can comments be sent in?
Your input is most valuable to our criteria development. We prefer to receive your answers via the form Consultation input form.
For further questions, please contact our product specialists:
Tel: +45 72 41 48 42
Tel: +358 40 528 85 97
Bergþóra Góa Kvaran
Tel: +354 591 2000
Tel: +47 90 77 57 55
Tel: +46 8 55 55 24 06
Public meetings will be held as webinars where the proposal for new criteria is presented and discussed:
Danish: 28th of January and 8th of February. Please register at firstname.lastname@example.org minimum two days ahead of the seminar to get the link.
Icelandic: 8th of February. Please register at email@example.com minimum two days ahead of the seminar to get the link.
Finnish: 9th of February. Please register at firstname.lastname@example.org minimum two days ahead of the seminar to get the link.
Norwegian: 15th of February. Please register at email@example.com minimum two days ahead of the seminar to get the link.
Swedish: 16th of February. Please register at firstname.lastname@example.org minimum two days ahead of the seminar to get the link.
You may join whichever webinar you choose. Everyone at Nordic Ecolabelling speaks English.
What happens next?
When the consultation period is complete, the answers will be compiled and evaluated. For this reason, a new revised proposal for criteria will be submitted to the Swedish Ecolabelling Board and the other national committees. On this basis, the Nordic Ecolabelling Board will then decide on new criteria.
Part of the decision document is the summary of all consultation responses together with answers from Nordic Ecolabelling. The summary will be public and available on the Ecolabelling Sweden’s web page in connection with the publication of the new criteria.
We look forward to receiving your comments no later than March 15, 2022.