Laundry detergents for professional use
Nordic Ecolabelling gives you the opportunity to comment on the proposal for a new criteria generation for Laundry detergents for professional use. Your comments are important and will be considered by the national ecolabelling boards and the Nordic Ecolabelling Board.
The ecolabelling is assessed based on a life cycle perspective. Tough requirements for chemicals and packaging ensure that Nordic Swan Ecolabelled Laundry detergents for professional use reduce the impact on our environment.
Please find the proposed criteria for download further down on this page.
We look forward to your comments, which should be sent to Nordic Ecolabelling no later than 31 January 2023 to be taken into consideration.
What has been changed?
The most important changes compared to generation 3 are:
- The system with A and B products is removed. Only products that are effective from 40°C or lower for light and medium soiling and 60°C or lower for heavy soiling can be Nordic Swan Ecolabelled. If the product is marketed as being effective at lower temperatures, it must fulfil the efficiency test at that temperature.
- Only products that are intended for washing machines with automatic dosing can be Nordic Swan Ecolabelled. Stain removers on spray are excepted.
- Products that are classified H420, H310 or H311 are no longer allowed (requirement O3).
- The list of substances that are excluded from use in products is extended with: Benzalkonium chloride, bisphenols, phosphates, MI (methylisothiazolinone), microplastics, NTA and colorants (requirement O7).
- The definition of endocrine disruptors has been updated (requirement O7).
- A policy requirement regarding sustainable, renewable raw materials have been introduced (requirement O8).
- Palm oil, palm kernel oil and derivatives of palm oil or palm kernel oil must have RSPO certification and sugarcane must be certified to Bonsucro standard (EU REDII approved), version 5.1 or later version (requirement O9).
- The CDV limit is only stated with chronic values. The limit values for CDV have been tightened for all degrees of soiling (requirement O10).
- Biodegradability requirements - aerobic and anaerobic (aNBO and anNBO) have been tightened for all degrees of soiling (requirement O11).
- The requirement on long-term environmental effects has been changed regarding the following (requirement O12):
- Hydrogen peroxide is exempted.
- H411 and H412 classified surfactants are no longer exempted.
- The M-factor is included in the calculation of the weighted content of environmental hazards.
- Packaging requirements regarding design for recycling and reuse of plastic packaging have been introduced (requirement O14-O18).
- Five users must test the product in the washing efficiency requirement (requirement O20).
- Testing in line with BPR is also accepted when it comes to efficiency of chemical disinfection.
We are particularly interested in getting comments on the following points
- The new limit values and set up for CDV, aerobic and anaerobic degradability and long-term environmental effects. We encourage producers to enter data for their products in the associated calculation sheets during the consultation period (requirements O10-O12).
- The ban on phosphates.
- All packaging requirements (requirements O14-O18).
- The fact that only products that are intended for washing machines with automatic dosing can be Nordic Swan Ecolabelled.
Documents for download
Who can provide input?
All people, companies and institutions who are interested in taking part in the development work of Nordic Ecolabelling criteria for Laundry detergents for professional use can provide us with their opinions and comments. We would appreciate if you kindly distribute information about this review to whom it may concern.
How can comments be sent in?
Your input is most valuable to our criteria development. We prefer to receive your answers via mail for each contry.
For further questions, please contact our product specialists:
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Camilla Kirk Boesen
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Guðrún Lilja Kristinsdóttir
What happens next?
When the public hearing period is complete, the answers will be compiled and evaluated. For this reason, a new revised proposal for criteria will be submitted to the national committees. On this basis, the Nordic Ecolabelling Board will then decide on new criteria.
Part of the decision document is the summary of all public hearing responses together with answers from Nordic Ecolabelling. The summary will be public and available on the Nordic Swan Ecolabel web page in connection with the publication of the new criteria.
We look forward to receiving your comments no later than 31 January 2023.