Furniture and fitments
The product group includes seating furniture such as chair and sofa, sleeping furniture such as bed and mattress, storage furniture including wardrobe with coat rack and hat shelf, table/desk, kitchen and bathroom fittings, as well as board/partitions and blackboard/whiteboard.
Lamps, building products, sanitary equipment, office supplies, various interior products, aids, toys, and outdoor furniture cannot be certified with the Nordic Swan Ecolabel after these criteria.
Extensive requirements are set for the constituent materials, chemicals used in production, emissions of substances harmful to health and requirements related to the use phase and circular aspects such as quality, warranty, and material recycling.
The requirements include:
* Use of sustainable renewable raw materials, e.g., requirements for traceability and a minimum of 70% certified wood raw material.
* Environmental and health properties of chemicals used in production, added to the materials, or used in surface treatment. Among other things, there are strict requirements to substances that are carcinogenic, toxic to reproduction and can damage genetic material, and bans on halogenated flame retardants, fluorinated substances and antibacterial additives including nanoparticles.
* Limits for content of and low emissions of formaldehyde and VOC in relevant chemicals and materials such as adhesives, padding materials, textiles, wood-based panels, and laminate.
* Limits for energy consumption in the production of wood-based panels and laminate, as well as stand-by energy consumption for height adjustable furniture such as desks and beds.
* Test of quality and function
* Warranty, availability of spare parts and circular design.
Below you will find all the necessary documents and background information to apply for the Nordic Swan Ecolabel.